Skip to content
- Mobilizing Communities in Austere Times, edited by
Mary Jean Hande, Jamie Magnusson, Kris Millet, Justin Tai and Sharry
Taylor (currently being developed for Athabasca University Press).
- Hande, Mary Jean, Aliya Jamal and Christine Kelly. (Under Review). “Direct Funding and the depoliticisation of home care systems: Popular rhetoric and policy directions in Ontario.” Canadian Review of Social Policy.
- Hande, Mary Jean, Ayesha Mian Akram and Shelley Condratto. (2019). “’All of this happens here?’: Diminishing perceptions of Canada through immigrants’ precarious work in Ontario.” Journal of International Migration and Integration. doi: 10.1007/s12134-019-00683-y
- Mirchandani, Kiran, Mary Jean Hande and Shelley Condratto. (Forthcoming) “Complaints-Based Entrepreneurialism: Worker Experiences of the Employment Standards Complaints Process in Ontario, Canada.” The Canadian Review of Sociology.
- Dansereau, Lisette, Mary Jean Hande and Christine Kelly. (2019). “Establishing a Crown Agency Amid Multiple Service Providers: Self-Directed Personal Support Services Ontario (SDPSSO).” Health Reform Observer – Observatoire des Réformes de Santé. 7(1): Article 2. doi: 10.13162/hro-ors.v7i1.3685
- Hande, Mary Jean. (2018, early view). “Disability Consciousness on the Frontlines of Urban Struggle.” Antipode 51(2): 558-578. doi: 10.1111/anti.12499.
Video abstract here
- Hande, Mary Jean and Christine Kelly. (2015). “Organizing Survival and Resistance in Austere Times: Shifting Disability Activism and Care Politics in Ontario, Canada. Disability & Society 30(7): 961-975. doi: 10.1080/09687599.1069731.
Refereed Book Chapters:
- Marmol, Emil, Mary Jean Hande and Raluca Bejan. (2017).
“On Strike in the Ivory Tower: Academic Repression of Labor Organizing
at University of Toronto.” In Taking Back Our Universities: Strategies
to Fight Academic Repression and the Corporatization of Higher
Education, edited by Anthony J. Nocella and Erik Juergensmeyer, 179-202.
New York: Peter Lang.
- Hande, Mary Jean, Sharry Taylor and Eric Zorn. (2016). “Operation
ASD: Philanthrocapitalism, Spectrumization and the Role of the Parent”.
In Psychiatry Interrogated, edited by Bonnie Burstow, 81-102. New York:
- Hande. M.J. & Kelly, C. (2017). Mixed-model home care’s iffy politics. Analysis piece for Winnipeg Free Press. Oct. 21. https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/opinion/analysis/mixed-model-home-cares-iffy-politics-452025983.html.
(Modified version from “The politics of ‘mixed-model’ home care,” October 20 2017, Impact Ethics https://impactethics.ca/2017/10/20/the-politics-of-mixed-model-home-care/)
- Hande, M.J. & Kelly, C. (2017). The politics of “mixed-model” home care.” Impact Ethics. October 20. https://impactethics.ca/2017/10/20/the-politics-of-mixed-model-home-care/.
- Hande, Mary Jean. (2016). “Book Review: Keywords for Radicals: The
Contested Vocabulary of Late-Capitalist Struggle.” Canadian Dimension
- Hande, Mary Jean. (2015). “Rank-and-File Reflections on the 2015
CUPE 3902 Strike.” Action Speaks Louder: OPIRG-Toronto’s Field Manual
for Those Who’ve had Enough, Fall, 8-9.
- Hande, Mary Jean. (2014). Building Community Resistance for the
Toronto 2015 Pan Am Games. Action Speaks Louder: OPIRG-Toronto’s Field
Manual for Those Who’ve had Enough, Fall, 6-7.
- Hande, Mary Jean and Muna Mire. (2013). “‘The Pace We Need to Go’:
Creating Care Culture.” Action Speaks Louder: OPIRG-Toronto’s Field
Manual for Those Who’ve had Enough, Fall, 8-9.
Hande, Mary Jean. (2012). “From Narrowed Veins to Liberation: An
Anthropological Analysis of the Canadian Liberation Therapy Movement.” Somatosphere: Science, Medicine and Anthropology,
January 5. Retrieved from
Conference Presentations (recent):
Hande, Mary Jean. (2018). “Disability (and) Care in Crisis:
Disability Consciousness on the Frontlines of Gentrification and Drug
Wars.” Paper presented at National Women’s Studies Association, Atlanta, GA, November 10.
Hande, Mary Jean, Hiwot Amare, Katie Aubrecht, Allison Williams and
Christine Kelly. (2018). “What’s Different about Working under
Direct-Funding? Exploring the Shifting Roles of Care Workers in Self and
Family Managed Home Care in Manitoba.” Paper presented by co-author
Christine Kelly at Canadian Association on Gerontology, Vancouver, BC, October 20.
Hande, Mary Jean, Aliya Jamal and Christine Kelly. (2018). “Direct
Funding and the Transformation of Home Care in Ontario, Canada: Popular
Rhetoric and Policy Directions.” Paper presented on behalf of co-authors
Aliya Jamal and Christine Kelly at Aging and Society Conference, Tokyo, Japan, September 19.
Hande, Mary Jean, Aliya Jamal and Christine Kelly. (2018). “The
Promise of Mainstreaming Direct Funding in Ontario, Canada: A Textual
Analysis.” Paper presented on behalf of co-authors Aliya Jamal and
Christine Kelly for Canadian Disability Studies Association. University of Regina, Regina, May 28.
- Hande, Mary Jean. (2017). “The Politics of Care and Aging for
Disabled Ontarians under Austerity.” Paper presented for the
International Association for Gerontology and Geriatrics World Congress,
San Francisco, July 24.
- Mirchandani, Kiran and Mary Jean Hande. (2017). “The Hidden Labour
of Precarity.” Paper presented for Canadian Sociological Association,
Ryerson University, Toronto, June 1.
- Hande, Mary Jean. (2017). “Collective, Crip Futurity in the Crisis
of Financialized Gentrification: Care Praxis in Toronto’s
Anti-Gentrification Organizing.” Paper presented for Women’s and Gender
Studies et Recherches Féminstes, Ryerson University, Toronto, May 29.
- Hande, Mary Jean. (2016). “Politicizing Disability Care Struggles in
Toronto.” Paper presented for Society for Socialist Studies. University
of Calgary, Calgary, May, 31.
- Hande, Mary Jean. (2016). “The Struggle for Collective Care in
Toronto’s Downtown East.” Paper presented for Historical Materialism
Toronto, York University, Toronto, May 14.
- Mirchandani, Kiran and Mary Jean Hande. (2016). “The Emotional
Labour of Precarity: Strategies for Recognition and Protection.” Paper
for International Labour Process Conference, WZB, Berlin, Germany, April
- Hande, Mary Jean, Shelley Condratto, Ayesha Mian Akram and Justin
Kong. (2016). “Immigrant Workers’ Experiences and Legislative
Protections in Canada.” Paper presented for International Labour Process
Conference, WZB, Berlin, Germany, April 5.
- Hande, Mary Jean and Christine Kelly. (2015). “Politicizing Care in
Austere Times: Disability, Survival and Renewed Forms of Activism.”
Paper presented for American Sociological Association Annual Meeting,
Chicago, Illinois, USA, August 23.
- Hande, Mary Jean. (2015). “Gaming the Para-Athlete: Neoliberal
Inclusion and Accessibility in Mega-Sports Events.” Paper presented for
Society for Disability Studies, Atlanta, Georgia, USA, June. 12.
- Hande, Mary Jean. (2015). “Operation ASD: Activating the Spectrum,
Restructuring the Healthcare Economy.” Paper presented for Canadian
Disability Studies Association, University of Ottawa, June 4.
- Hande, Mary Jean. (2018). “Disability (and) Care in Crisis:
Disability Consciousness on the Frontlines.” Invited Presentation for
Bold Ideas Colloquium Series, Community Health Sciences, University of
Manitoba, February 16.
- Hande, Mary Jean. (2017). “‘Radical Alternatives’ and Revolutionary
Futurity: Disability Care Praxis and Class Consciousness in Toronto.”
Invited presentation for Senior Doctoral Fellow Luncheon Speakers Series
for Equity Studies, New College, University of Toronto, March 24.
- Hande, Mary Jean. (2016). “Austerity and Access to Healthcare.”
Invited presentation for In What Universe?: Canadian Healthcare &
Who It Leaves Behind. Equity Studies Student Union, University of
Toronto, January 28.
- Hande, Mary Jean. (2015). “Revolutionizing Disability Care Relations
in a Time of Austerity.” Invited presentation for Works in Progress
Seminar Series, Centre for Media and Culture in Education, University of
Toronto, March 13.
- Hande, Mary Jean. (2014). “Developing a Framework for Research in
Action.” Invited presentation for Research in Action: Building
Accountable Community Research, Ontario Public Interest Research Group,